Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Special Statement from National Weather Service....
...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS THIS MORNING FOR THE BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON REGION...THE EASTERN PANHANDLE OF WEST VIRGINIA...
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THIS MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON. LIFE THREATENING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS HAVE DEVELOPED RAPIDLY ACROSS THE BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON REGION THIS MORNING.
AT 7:27 AM THIS MORNING...A WIND GUST WAS RECORDED TO 60 MPH AT MANASSAS VIRGINIA. NUMEROUS WIND GUSTS OVER 40 MPH HAVE OBSERVED AROUND THE REGION ALONG WITH WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS.
IF YOU GET STRANDED IN YOUR VEHICLE...DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR TO TRY TO WALK FOR ASSISTANCE...YOU CAN QUICKLY BECOME DISORIENTED IN WIND DRIVEN SNOW AND COLD. THIS STORM WILL SUBSIDE EARLY THIS EVENING...SO WAIT IN YOUR CAR FOR EMERGENCY HELP TO ARRIVE. PERIODICALLY RUN YOUR ENGINE FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES EACH HOUR FOR HEAT. ENSURE YOUR EXHAUST PIPE IS CLEARED OF SNOW AND ICE. CRACK YOUR WINDOWS TO AVOID CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING. TIE A COLORED CLOTH TO YOUR CARS ANTENNA TO BE VISIBLE TO RESCUERS. FROM TIME- TO-TIME...MOVE YOUR ARMS...LEGS...FINGERS...AND TOES TO KEEP BLOOD CIRCULATING.
We put everybody to bed as soon as dinner was finished, and Sarah and Kiley and I bundled up in front of the fireplace. Power folks came around midnight and restrung the downed power line, but when the rest of our neighborhood powered back up another transformer blew on just our block! So the six houses on our dead-end street soldiered on. Slept great under all our blankets, but woke up on Super Bowl Sunday morning to 9* outside and 45* inside! Miriam brought us a couple of kettles of hot water, and we survived until power came back on at 3 - just in time to prepare the fixins for Joe and Kristen and Alex and Brigid and Marco and the big game: potato skins, spring rolls, nachos, chicken wings and chocolate chip cookies...
Rooting for the Saints:
Though it's hard to watch and read bedtime books at the same time...
Monday, February 8, 2010
We had some friends over for homemade pizza on Friday night - Johanna, Eric, Dana, Jeff, Clio, Thalia, Stella and Jonah:
...and as we ate our chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches the snow began in earnest:
Took Michael and Joshua for a nighttime snow walk after Matthew went to sleep:
And woke up to this Saturday morning:
(That's our Odyssey and Amy and Omar's Prius buried in our neighbor Miriam's driveway...)
And it kept snowing until the end of the day. A nice round number: two feet of snow.
Friday, February 5, 2010
1044 PM EST FRI FEB 5 2010
...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST SATURDAY...
A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST SATURDAY.
* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY SNOW...ACCOMPANIED OCCASIONALLY BY THUNDER OVERNIGHT.
* ACCUMULATIONS...WIDESPREAD STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO 30 INCHES...WITH SOME LOCATIONS IN EXCESS OF 30 INCHES.
* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING WITH THE MOST HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS OCCURRING OVERNIGHT.
* VISIBILITIES...WIDESPREAD VISIBILITIES AT OR BELOW ONE-QUARTER MILE ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT IN HEAVY SNOW.
* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S TONIGHT AND SATURDAY.
* WINDS...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH FREQUENT GUSTS OF 35 TO 40 MPH OVERNIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE COAST.